Last night for my ladies Bible study group I made these fun and simple cookies-n-cream cupcakes and they went over like free money! Give ’em a try this week – I know you’ll love them too!
1 box of white cake mix (2-layer kind, with or without pudding in the mix doesn’t matter, any brand will due)
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup oil
2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract (optional)
1 package of chocolate sandwich cookies (again, brand doesn’t matter here)
1 recipe creamy white frosting (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, vanilla, water, extract (if using) and oil with an electric mixer until just combined. Add in cake mix and beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes – you want it to be nice and thick.
3. Set aside 14 sandwich cookies (you’ll use these to top the cupcakes later on) and place remaining cookies in a large storage bag or food processor and roughly crush the cookies. Don’t pulverize them – you want nice chunky pieces of cookie in the cupcake batter.
4. With a spatula or spoon, gently fold the crushed cookies into the cupcake batter until just mixed.
5. Spoon batter into the muffin cups – filling half full to start with. If you have any extra batter you can add a bit more to each cup, but don’t fill the cups more than 2/3 of the way or you’ll have a big mess on your hands!
6. Bake in preheated oven for 21 minutes (20-25 minutes depending on your oven) and remove when they pass the “toothpick test”. Cool on wire racks while you make the frosting (cupcakes must be completely cooled before frosting so you can always make the frosting a few hours later).
7. Take reserved sandwich cookies and cut in half with a sharp knife – set cookie halves aside until you’re ready to frost the cupcakes.
Creamy white frosting (this stuff tastes like the white filling in the Oreo cookies – oh, so good!)
1 cup solid vegetable shortening or Crisco (NOT butter flavored)
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk (approximate amount)
2. Add in 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Splash in 2 tablespoons milk and continue beating to loosen up frosting.
4. Add in remaining 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Splash in another 2 – 3 tablespoons more milk (or less if necessary), a tablespoon at a time, until frosting is a spreadable consistency.
6. Thickly spread frosting over cupcakes, or place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe a large (decorative) blob of frosting on top of the cupcake.
7. Decorate cupcakes with cookie halves and enjoy!
Makes 24 cupcakes